Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hair today gone tomorrow!


This past year I have been growing out my hair and had it all the way down by my bra strap. Sorry that is girl terminology for middle back...for any guys reading this blog. ;)

This is the longest I have grown my hair out since I believe 6th grade? I usually have my hair length just past my shoulders and even shorter. In the back of my mind I was motivating my self to not cut it and see how long I could grow it out. I also wanted to donate my hair to the Locks of Love when it reached 10 inches to cut off. I went last week to Great Clips and asked the stylist to cut my long layer off and just keep it past my shoulders; and that I would like to donate my hair to Locks of Love if it is long enough. She told me I could not donate it because it was highlighted and Locks of Love only collects untreated hair; hair that has not been died or highlighted, etc.

Darn-it! I grew my hair out just so I could do this and all I knew was that it had to be 10 or more inches long in order to donate. So now I know for the next time and want to pass this on to any of you who are thinking of chopping you long locks for a good cause to not dye it. I still cut my hair that day, but instead of my hair going to a wig factory it was swept up by a broom and donated to the trash can. My hair is cute at the shoulder length and starting to show some roots. I have decided now to not redye it and let the highlighted parts grow out, and maybe in about two years it will be "non-treated" and "10 inches in length" to chop off and give to locks of love.
Hair today gone tomorrow! A whole year of growing it out, just to toss into a trash can. Such a waist.

Here is more info on the Locks of Love: website

http://www.westampton.k12.nj.us/babreu/locks_of_love.htm

1 comment:

April said...

That's actually funny b/c I wanted to donate my hair too...and I read it couldn't be bleached and I thought, why have I had such long hair all along??? But since I'd rather be blonde, I guess I can have short hair the rest of my life...can't wait to cut it!