Friday, October 25, 2013

And So It Begins... The Barbie Saga.

And so it begins! My daughter is 4, and asked me for a Ken Doll.
I was distracted with trying to get ready this morning, and at first I ask her, "What's a Ken doll?"
She replies, "He's Barbie's best friend, she loves Ken... and I need a Ken doll."
She is holding up her Barbie with a baby wipe on her head, to take to preschool for share day... She tells me she needs to attach the wipe to Barbies head. (?) She wants Barbie to wear a vale, because she is the bride and is going to marry Ken! CRAZY how is my daughter figuring all this out? Where does she come up with this stuff?














In considering buying a Ken Doll for her later, after school, I am hesitant as the cautious parent.
(I never had a Ken doll as a kid... Barbie has boobs, and I'm curious of what the Ken doll will look like naked? I've never seen it. So being the concerned parent, I Google the images of "Ken dolls" but those Kens were all clothed... THEN I Google, "Ken dolls naked" *don't Google this! Or at least not with the kiddo in the room. (Don't worry Kara's was already at preschool when I hopped onto the computer this morning.) WOAH! there are some images of Ken doll naked, and then there are other photos of nakedness I didn't need to see. As well as modified Ken dolls naked! LOL. This was something I totally walked right into.
In the end, I think that the "store bought Ken doll" is not all that bad. It is just a small mound where his private area is, similar to Barbies bottom actually. Not a big deal. I think I can buy Kara a Ken doll now and her Barbie can marry him. It's strange, I don't really remember the whole relationship part to Barbie, with her dating Ken or being married to Ken? As a kid, I just liked dressing up Barbie and playing with her hair. I never had the Ken doll or even a friend that had one. We just had Barbies to play with. I guess I don't see the harm in buying my daughter the Ken doll. It is fine.

No comments: