Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm Incognito Today.

I've gone incognito today. Here at work I am usually in uniform, working at the front desk of my hotel. I am usually seen by guests as a person who works there.

Today I was in regular, street clothes at work for a training class. Unless the guest was a frequent guest to know me out of uniform, the guests I passed in the halls did not know that I worked there. I almost felt like I was just another guest walking in the hall ways and also as part Undercover Agent. I felt like being out of uniform was a whole new spin on my work environment.

When I went to the ladies restroom, I was washing my hands and the guest at the sink by me made small talk. She was commenting how she liked the counter top and should get something like this put in her house. I mingled and small talked back with her, then as I left, I told her to enjoy the rest of her day. I still had the customer service attitude and chatted with her. I think if I was in uniform, maybe she would not have made small talk, or maybe she would see that I am an associate and ask me a hotel question? Then as I was in the cafe for to buy a cup of coffee, I was there with two of my other coworkers, who were also in their street clothes for the class, and we were all blending in as "guests". It was so weird to be at work out of uniform and secretly there, in a sense. I was incognito, and blended in for a change. Just out of habit though, I still greeted the guests in passing a, "good morning" and realized I didn't have to do so.

No comments: