Saturday, January 30, 2010

Grandparents are precious to have

Thank you to all the Granparents out there. I grew up with just one Grandma and she passed away back in 2000. Then when I married Andrew, his Grandma and Grandpa became my new set of grandparents. Kara is so lucky to have a slew of Grandparents. I want them all to know how very special you each are to her. My in-laws, Bob and Judi are her Grandma and Grandpa and my folks, Gail and Mitch are her Grandma and Grandpa. That is four grandparents! Then we also have Andrews Grandma, Kara wasn't able to meet. She passed away last year in 2009 when Kara was one month old. We visited the Thanksgiving holiday before that while I was pregnant with Kara and visited with Grandma Thelma. We still have Andrew's Grandpa Gordon which is Kara's Great Grandpa. He is 96 years old, so he just recently moved into an assistant living place and out of the big house that he has lived in for decades. He is starting to go and not making much sense these days. He talks about the past as if it were going on today, currently. A scary thing happened last month; he was waiting on the sidewalk of his house for a taxi to take him somewhere...luckily he didn't actually call for a real taxi, he just thought he did. If he were to actually go somewhere in a taxi, we would not have know where he went and he would go missing! It is so scary with situations like that where he was living alone at home. He is better being in the assistant living, but I don't know how much longer he will live? I hope he makes it till April in the Spring. We want to fly out to CA over Easter break and visit him agian (once more). I surely hope it will not be our last time visiting, and that he lives onto turn 100 even. But IF this is our last chance to visit I want it to be memorable for Kara. I just hope she remembers her Great Grandpa when she gets older, and has memories of visiting with him. ( I am getting all teary eyed) I have to think of better thoughts. and not get to caught up in Grandpa Gordon passing away. We don't know really when that sad day will come...could be yrs from now, or months.

On a happier note I started a Skype session with my folks to see Kara live on the Webcam. This is a free site to set up with your web camera and you can call people using the skype who are also on the skype to see each other. If you have Skype, let us know and we can set up a time to hop on there and you can see cute Kara. I'm starting the catch phrase, "Skype you later!" instead of the old school phrase, "See you later!" haha. a Modern twist to it. I coined the phrase, and take all the credit, hope it catches on.

click the link to check out and start a Skype Free account.
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/?c=204

No comments: