Friday, December 09, 2011

Out of Luck With This Pot Luck

I have not been to a Potluck in years! I love baking a dish to take to a potluck and bringing something along that is homemade. I also love eating what others brought for their homemade dishes. Potlucks are a fun gathering of people and their signature dishes. We are going tonight to a Potluck with our church that we just start attending recently, and it is at 6:30pm.

I have the perfect recipe in mind to make my Orange bowl, yams, topped with mini marshmallows! Only I work all day today till 5, and get home in time to basically grab our daughter and head over to the potluck. There isn't time to even try to make a side dish. It seems lazy or cheating, maybe both, to head to the local deli and buy a pound of something "homemade" instead. I have seen it done a dozen times where the person buys Potatoe Salad from the deli and throws it in a bowl with surran-wrap over it; like they made it themselves! Or some people, straight out, buy a deli dish and bring it to a potluck in the original container with the label on it and plop a spoon in it, to serve up and share!

I think those sorts of times are falling on me today. I am going to be "one of those" people. I am going to stop by the deli on my way home at 5:30 pm today, after work, and buy a side dish! Gasp! Question is thow, do I put it in a pretteir dish to present it? or Do I just stick a spoon in the container and have people serve themselves a dollop of deli bought food?

It's 3:56 A.M. in the morning...I am racking my brain, tossing and turning over this, dreaming about it. I'm doing too much thinking and not enough sleeping! This blog is my thought process and my "therapy" to get through the acceptance that I am going to buy a side dish to bring to this Church Potluck. I think if this was a friends house we were going to and they knew we both worked today and so on, I would easily just pick something up from the deli and bring it along. But this is our new Church! Are there expectations here? Are the people going to even notice that we brought the deli dish? Are other people there going to also bring deli dishes? Am I going to show up at this Potluck with the only deli dish and everyone else brings a "homemade" side dish? UGH!? The stress of being new and wanting to make the yams!

Then it is 4:02 in the @#!*ing morning...and I need to go back to sleep!... FINE! I am going to the deli and buying a nicely presented deli dish or platter, and I am sticking a spoon in it. People will bring baked goods and people will bring deli-baked goods. Food is food, and it will all be eaten and we will all be Merry.

3 comments:

Kindle said...

I love your blog. I will come back weekly to see what you have to say.

LEO said...

You should have used your crock pot :) Open up some cans of yams and simmer all day and pick it up before church! So what did you get after-all?!!

Martiel said...

I don't have a crock pot! I ended up going to two different stores on the way home and bought a vegi platter with the dip in the middle...lame and so ordinary. It turned out about 60/40% some made homemade dishes and some bought something from the store. I didn't feel so bad buying something, in the end. I really stressed over nothing.