Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hotel Staff Basics Are Good To Follow In Life

With Hospitality, there comes great customer service and team effort that the hotel staff works with. I worked for hotels in different departments for 5 years. I have since left the Hospitality industry and moved onto another career opportunity. I love my current job working in a Retirement Home. I work as an Activities Assistant. I get to hang out with the Residents there, and do fun activities. Even though I don't work in a hotel any longer, the hospitality aspect to customer care is still relevant to follow with the way I work today.

This is a list of Basics that people should follow in their own work environment, and in interacting with people. These people you interact with can be: Guests, Clients, Vendors, Associates, Residents, Students, Teachers, anyone. This is a list, teaching us ways to help, care, respect others, resolve issues, and work day to day. This is not just points to be followed by Hotel Associates. I really think this should be shared with others outside of the Hotel Brand. Read through these, and where the words "guest" comes up replace it with "client" or "customer" and for the word, "hotel" replace with "your company name."

There are 20 points listed. It took me a while to type it all out...I reworded some bits to not mention the hotel name and keep it anonymous.

Courtesy of Hotel Basics:

1. Perform
   a. Know every aspect of my job
   b. Focus on accuracy
   c. Be reliable and consistent
   d. Use my knowledge and skills to assist others
2. Great Impressions
   a. Maintain a professional appearance
   b. Own the appearance of my area
   c. Smile and be friendly and approachable
   d. Follow "clean as you go"
3. Welcome 
     a. At 15 feet, make eye contact and smile
     b. At 5 feet, maintain eye contact, greet the guest with "Good Morning/Evening"
     known as the "15/5 Rule"
     c. Use the guest's name
     d. Say "Welcome to (Name of the place or your area)"
4. Know
    a. Stay up-to-date on the local area
    b. Know the (hotel) Company facilities and services
    c. Stay informed of daily (hotel) Company activities
    d. Communicate my knowledge clearly and accurately
5. Prepare
    a. Prepare for each guest's arrival
    b. Plan for VIPs and Special Guests
    c. Ensure I have the right tools and information
6. Anticipate
    a. Watch and listen for cues
    b. Ask questions to learn more
    c. Remember and record preferences and requests
7. Personalize
   a. Take ownership of the guest's needs
   b. Recommend the right products and services
   c. Think of creative ways to say "yes!" *try your best not to say No. and find out a way or answer.
   d. Ensure the guest is completely satisfied
8. Do More
   a. Look for opportunities before being asked
   b. Do more than is asked
   c. Look for creative ways to make the guest feel special
9. Improve
   a. Find opportunities for improvement
   b. Participate in creating solutions
   c. Learn new skills
   d. Eagerly share ideas to continually improve service
10. Make a Difference
   a. Contribute to an exceptional guest experience with every action I take
   b. Work with others to achieve department and (hotel) goals
   c. Take care of each other so we can take better care of our guests
11.Passion For Service
  a. Ask how I can help
  b. Focus full attention on the guest
  c. Maintain appropriate conversations in guest areas
  d. Respond sincerely, saying "I am happy to take care of that for you."
12. Empathize
  a. Listen carefully to understand
  b. See things from their perspective
  c. Acknowledge their feelings
13. Resolve Problems
  a. Own the problem and take immediate action
  b. Know how to use each step in the L.E.A.R.N. process
     Listen to the problem
     Empathize with the guest
     Apologize
     React to solve the problem
     Notify a supervisor about the problem
  c. Do whatever it takes
  d. Resolve to delight and build trust
14. Respect
  a. Be sincere and kind
  b. Be considerate of individual differences
  c. Acknowledge the value of others' contributions
  d. Deliver on my promises
15. Thank Every Guest
  a. Say "Thank you for choosing (hotel/company name) and wish the guest a good day
  b. Inquire about the guest's experience to genuinely encourage feedback
  c. Encourage the guest to return
16. Courtesy
  a. Use good manners
  b. Use terms the guest can understand, no jargon or slang
  c. Use positive tone and body language
  d. Use proper telephone etiquette
17. Teamwork
  a. Treat everyone as if they are guests
  b. Help others without being asked
  c. Respect the rules of my team
  d. Celebrate our accomplishments
18. Care
  a. Use resources wisely
  b. Treat the hotel as if it were my own
  c. Preserve the environment
  d. Serve our community
19. Safety & Security
  a. Work Safely
  b. Report unsafe conditions immediately
  c. Respond appropriately in an emergency
  d. Safeguard the privacy and security of guests and associates
20. (Company) Pride
  a. Act professionally
  b. Talk enthusiastically about my (company) and (brand)
  c. Know and demonstrate (all 20 of these basics)

Now I know these are very helpful to the hotel, that these originated from, but these basics are a way to act and care for (guests/clients/people) in any workplace. I can't disclose the name of the hotel, that this list of 20 basics came from, because I don't even know if I am "aloud" to share this with the public... or if this is a "secret business knowledge" for only associates of that particular hotel brand. I think these are good to share. I plan to continue to follow a great set of basics, for my own use of work ethics.

**If you happen to know the hotel of which I used this list from, please keep it anonymous. Even though I don't work for the company any more, I don't want any trouble for sharing the great list of work ethics.**
 

No comments: