Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Name Annoys Me Sometimes

My name is Martiel. Pronounced Mar-T-L. I have often heard the same couple of comments or questions about my name time and time again for about 25+ years. I also get a handful of ways that my name is mispronounced. I get, Mar-teal, Mar C L, Mar tell, Mary tell, Michelle, Martial, etc. Those are the common ones I hear all the time!

This morning, I went to Starbucks for a coffee and breakfast sandwich. I had some free time on my hands, after dropping off my daughter at preschool, so I decide to go inside and order instead of the drive-thru. The gal taking my order asks for my name to write on the cup. She got every annoying question and comment about my name in one interaction with me. All with in a few minutes of taking my coffee order, she bugged me about my name.

Here is how it went:

Me: I would like a Tall, iced, caramel, latte
Her: what's your name? (to write on the cup)
Me: Martiel, (spelling it out, MARTIEL)
Her: Oh, pretty name...Is that French?
Me: Yes
Her: Parlez Vous Frances?
Me: No, I don't speak French
Her: You're not French? Oh
Me: Nope, just my name is French
Her: I bet people call you Martial (Marshal)...
Me: Ya, only when they mispronounce my name...
Her: oh.
Me: I also go by Marti, it is easier...

Other guy with my freshly made coffee: Tall Caramel Machiato, for Mar-tell.
Me: For Martiel? I ordered a Caramel Latte, not a Machiato?
(UGH!)
The other lady again: OK, Marti, let's remake the coffee for you and refund the difference.
Me: OK.
She hands me the correct coffee order and 20 cents change for the difference.

By the time this was all done, (which to me seemed longer than it may have actually been) I think it would have been better to have just driven through the drive-thru and not have gone inside for a "pleasant time sipping on a coffee in a cafe" I ended up not staying for the cafe experience of relaxing with my coffee. I went back to my car and ate my breakfast sandwich, and sipped on my latte as I drove, running my errands.

No comments: