Sunday, August 05, 2012

The Life of a Penny

This, 1977, penny is 1 year older than I. Just think the life this penny has had...where has it been? Whos hands have pinched it? How many times has one picked it up off the ground, for good luck? How often has this penny been wished upon or kept inside a piggy bank...? I can imagine how this penny came crashing down with other cions upon the piggy bank being broke open, by some small child.

How many close calls has this one penny had on a railroad track...with a kid hoping to smoosh it flat...only the train roaring by nocked this penny off and the boy picked up this penny back up, stashing it in his jeans pocket, as he runs down the street to buy gum...spending that penny instead. This penny survived another day...35 years and counting. This 1977 penny will live on. I spent it as part of my money transaction for a banana split. Who knows where this penny will turn up next? Maybe as change to the next customer, and then in the ashtray of that persons car, with its friends nickle and dime?

It's fascinating to me to see this penny. And YES, I see pennies every day and we often dismiss the value of a penny. It is merely pocket change and wishes in fountains. But this particular penny, from 1977, struck me into thinking how it is just a year older than me. I have had a pretty good life thus far, with some bumps in the road along the way. In the end, I've had great adventures and new hopes for a future with many more great years to come. This penny has been through many towns or countries even? This penny has been around, more than just the bottom of an ash tray. It's places that I too want to go to these places! I think I just compared myself to a penny? I am getting a little coo-coo, now, but I like to think of it as philosophical!

No comments: