Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mother of the Year Award...?

It is not even 8:00 am yet, and I have already made a fool of myself as far as being a mom, while getting our daughter ready for preschool!

We recently moved back to California, and she has a new preschool. This preschool gives the option to pack a lunch or use a meal ticket, to eat what they are serving as lunch for that day. I have a calendar, showing me what is for lunch each day, and can decide if I want to pack a lunch instead. Yesterdays lunch was Chicken Nuggets. Her teacher told me that my daughter DID eat all of her chicken this time. The last time they served Chicken nuggets, she didn't eat the chicken. It is sort of hit and miss with our daughter, on what she will eat.

She sees her class mates with lunch boxes and wants me to pack a lunch for her. It has been ongoing with her asking me to get her a lunch box. I keep putting off buying a new lunch box at the store, only because we are in the middle of unpacking, and I know we have one some where still in a box? I just can't find it!

So this morning, I am looking for an alternate lunch box, to pack a lunch for her. We have some pizza left over from last night, two cookies in a zip-lock baggy, an applesauce cup and some peanut butter crackers. I first grab a plastic bag, but that was too flimsy. We have this pretty pink gift bag from a bottle of wine we got from our Realtor.  It fits all of her lunch inside...and it's pink...BUT IT IS A WINE BOTTLE BAG! I am going down as a "bad mom" for this! I have lost any chance at earning "the Mother of the Year" award (if that even exists) . I just know this is wrong, to send my daughter to preschool with a wine bottle bag as her "lunch box". But I do it anyway, I can't find anything else, and we need to get going!

So now we are driving to preschool, I have the radio on to 98.7 FM. I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers, turn up the music, and the next song that comes on is a totally different. I am listening to the words:

(the song went something like this)
I'm going to wear your Grandpa's clothing
and I'm going to look incredible...
I only got twenty dollars in my pocket... (It's a catchy song, about going thrift shopping...)

Kara chimes in and says, "he's gonna wear his Grandpa's clothing?"
"What is this silly song?"

I respond, "I don't know honey, it's called Rap" (Oh geese I am listening to Rap songs, while driving to preschool!)

I played it off as a silly song and it ended, the next song after that was Tom Petty! I pushed the INFO button on my car radio, to see what that song was called, and it is called, "THRIFT SHOP" (Googled the song to listen to it again) OH GOODNESS! The music video is CRAZY SILLY, and I love this goofy rap song about being a thrifty shopper!

***Of course the radio version of this song doesn't sing all the bad words in it...*** Warning the video clip below is the non-radio version of the song, and includes some bad words like "Fucking Awesome" and if you have a child in the room, I'm just letting you know...before you click to listen.

CLICK HERE for the song. Don't laugh at me if you happen to know this rap song, or it turns out to be some big hit song, I just never heard it before. It was the strangest thing to be driving to PRESCHOOL, of all places, and blasting a rap song as I drove, with my daughter. This just added on to my chances of becoming the "Mother of the year!"  Haha.

I don't get the random selection of songs for the morning drive on this radio station. The Radio DJ mentions that they are playing 98 minutes of commercial free music on 98.7 FM. I'm thinking 98 minutes of good songs mixed in with Rap, a total mix of songs!

I am going to buy her a lunch box today, and turn this all around tomorrow on the drive to Preschool. To Kara, it is just a pretty pink bag...but to the teachers? I know they might question the bag being a gift bag for wine bottles! And as far as the Rap song, it wasn't that bad, it was just ironic.

No comments: