Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Nursery Rhyme

I came across this cute version of the classic song, "You Are My Sunshine"

I think this is so cute with the picture of the little dear and the "grey cloud" Only I found the last verse to be different from how I remember it. I use to sing this song, rocking my baby to sleep, and still today she asks me to sing her the "Sunshine song" sometimes when going to bed (4 yrs later). I have always sung this with the last verse being, "You take all my cares away." and NOT, "Please don't take my sunshine away..." So who is correct? My version or this cartoon photo of the song? According to Google search... the
lyrics to the song are actually "Please don't take my sunshine away" I never knew this! I was singing this differently for four years...but in the end I have also added on verses to make the song longer for my daughter. Apparently there is more to this original Sunshine song that is not as cute and happy to sing to a kid...

The other night dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
When I awoke dear
I was mistaken
And I held
My head
And cried

That addition to the classic song is sort of depressing, and has been left out of the song that people typically sing to their children.

Interesting, how nursery rhymes are so morbid to think of, once you actually break it down and look at the words of what we sing to kids. We are singing these songs to our kids as a soothing, kind song; a way to interact with a child through a song. The kids like to sing along as well, and think these songs are sweet and cute, when really it's about a baby falling out of a tree (Rock a by baby nursery rhyme)! Look at Humpty Dumpty Nursery Rhyme for example:


Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again


He's an EGG that is on the top of a wall, and then SPLAT! He fell off the wall, and is DEAD!  The King's men could not save him! 


But back to this Sunshine song, *the last part of the song (which repeats) is, "Please don't take my sunshine away." I always thought the last verse was, "You take all my cares away" This to me makes sense, that I am saying that my child is my Sunshine, she brightens up my day and makes everything better when she is around. She takes all my cares away...meaning that I have not a care in the world, everything is fine when I am together with her. At least, this is how I see it and will remain singing it to her...

My version of the Sunshine song:

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When the skies are grey
You'll never know dear
How much I love you

*You take all my cares away

             (New version I made up over the years)
I love you baby
my pretty baby

I'll love you forever
and ever more

You are my sweet girl
and always will be
you take all my cares away

you are my Sunshine
My only Sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
and I know dear
How much I love you
You take all my cares away!

My version of THE SUNSHINE song is from the heart, singing to my daughter. This is one Nursery Rhyme/song that I have not found to have hidden (morbid) meaning to it. She calls it The Sunshine song and sometimes asks me to sing it when we are cuddling on the sofa or settling down for bed time.

No comments: