Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Is It Soda or Pop?



Depending on the state I am in and referring to what the "locals" call a carbonated soft drink is either Soda and/or Pop. I think it’s funny. I grew up calling it Soda (in California); here in Ohio (or the majority of the mid-west) it is called Pop. The funny thing I hear is my best friend, Genoa, has always called her dad "Pop" but then she calls her drink a Soda, living out in California. So for her, it’s no big deal. But if people in Ohio were to call their dad-Pop, they would be calling him a soda!? I find this to be an interesting play on words. I will stick to calling my Dad - "dad" and my drink “Soda”. It just comes natural for me to say soda, even if everyone else here says pop. Also, what about the words Carbonated SOFT drink? It isn't really soft...it is kind of ruff, tickling my tongue with the carbonated part of a soda. So let's call it a "carbonated ruff drink" or a "carbonated tickle drink." :)

6 comments:

Jenette said...

It's all coke to me. But I grew up in Georgia. We had coke breaks in high school, even if you were drinking a sprite.

Martiel said...

This is worse than calling it either soda or pop! Silly gal! A sprite is a sprite and coke is coke. But I have heard that too sometimes. I bet the Pepsi people hate that at the corporate level, where Coke has become the dominating name in soda-pop. LOL

Pinterest Failures said...

When I lived in St. Louis I waited tables at an olive Garden and Sprite was called "White Soda" or "White Sodie." I grew up in Northern Indiana where everything was called pop. These same people also asked for a bottle of ketchup for their spaghetti (as opposed to spaghetti sauce).

Martiel said...

How funny Misfit, people calling it White Sodie for sprite, this is new to me. I will call it sprite and still call the rest soda.

Anonymous said...

back in the day, when there wasn't that much refrigeration, on our family's many route 66 trips between kansas & california there would be the occassional sign which read

"we don't know where ma is, but we got pop on ice"

gats ;:P

Martiel said...

Hilarious Gats! Do you have any photos of the sign? Classic humor. Sort of like the sign near Barstow, "Chocolate covered Olives" Funny.