Tuesday, November 14, 2006

How Do Junkies Do It?



Exactly one week ago on Tuesday I donated blood. On the inside of my arm, I got a bruise from donating blood. There is still a small section of the bruise still there a week later. I can not understand how druggies do the needle type drugs on a more frequent basis, after seeing my arm like this with a bruise from one needle poke. A nurse stuck a needle in my arm (to donate the blood) once this week. My arm was sore for about 2 days later; and the bruise is going on 1 full week and counting! I don't see how druggies can withstand the sore arm and bruising after they stick needles in their arms. I guess because they are on drugs and they are not in a state of mind to realize their arm is sore and bruised up. Being high on something is more important to a druggy than a sore arm and bruises.

The Donating Process:

I turned to look away as the needle was stabbed into my vane. The volunteer nurse had me make a fist squeezing this little, red, heart shaped, ball to get my blood flowing. It seemed like an eternity waiting there on the lounger giving blood. I peeked at my arm a few times watching the bag fill up. It was one of those gross things that you just can't stop your self from looking at type of situation. I have donated in the past, but never paid attention to all that goes on in the process. This time around I was very observant and curious about everything. The nurse came back to pull the needle out and I had to press down with a ball of gauze while holding my arm up in the air. She said that my face looked a little pale, I told her, "I'm fine, I am just naturally pale." She laughed, then elevated my feet and had me rest for a bit before getting up. Corey Chavous #25 RAMS player, I meet just after giving blood. I am sporting the beautiful purple bandage on my sore arm.

#82 Rookie Joe Klopfenstien is so tall (6'5"). #59 Tim McGarigle is also a Rookie new to the RAMS football team. They were both very nice and took time to meet the fans who were donating and signed autographs.

This was a special event donating blood, with the opportunity to meet some football players from the St. Louis Rams team. There was radio stations set up at tables too. I meet some Rams, gave blood, ate cookies and pizza, drank small serving size juices, and rocked out to some music. Who knew donating blood could be so much fun?

1 comment:

Martiel said...

my arm is back to normal and bruise free now!