Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What's Your Middle Name?

Interesting tid bit of information. I have meet a couple of people over the years who use their middle name as their first name, and some people would never guess it was their middle name unless they mentioned it or you checked their ID. I could think of a few off the top of my head that I know of.
An old friend of mine named Courtney Maren, goes by Maren

My friends boyfriend named ? Kenneth, goes by Ken
My supervisor is named Van Brian, goes by Brian

We have a friend named ? Aaron, goes by Aaron
My Hubby is named Andrew Stephen, use to go by Steve

Then a gal who is pregnant is thinking of a middle name to use as the first name and the baby is not born yet. (?) Why not have the middle name be the first name? I don't understand?

Then there is my brother who has 2 middle names, both family names to keep in the name, and he could have used either one as his first name if he wanted to. Instead of Robert we could call him Luis! I wont tell you his other middle name, because I want to use the name for a Boys name, if I ever have a boy some day. It is a cool name and unique at the same time, so I don't want to advertise it and have it become popular. You will have to ask Robert what his other middle name is. :P

Another old tradition is referring to people by their last name. My brother has gone by the nic-name of Hesse, referring to him by last name. My Grandma had a best friend named Tomi, but this was actually her last name short for Thompson. Her first name was actually Ramona. I just know her as Tomi. To get even more complex, her last name currently was Brown, so in my address book I have entered her in as Tomi Brown, BUT! those are two last names! If we all used our first, middle, and last names in the proper order, it would be less complicated. My Grandma's friend would be Ramona Brown...I would not even know who that is? A whole different person! She has been Tomi for so long!
Back when I was dating Andrew, he went by Steve (his middle name) and my friends meet him as Steve. A couple years later we were getting married and the invitation comes in the mail to my friend Janets house, and she read the name Andrew on it. She called to congratulate me and then asked, "What ever happened to the other guy you were dating?...Steve was so nice." I cracked up once I realized the confusion and told her, "Oh no, he is the one I am getting married to, Steve was just his middle name that he used as a "first name" and now he goes by Andrew his original first name! She then told me, "Good because I liked Steve, I mean Andrew, and you two will be happy together." That is about as complicated as it gets!


I will stick to my first name, Martiel, to keep simple. Well not too simple, most people have a hard time catching my name right being a unique name. It is pronounced Mar-T-L (Martiel).

1 comment:

Jenette said...

Averil Aaron. See why he goes by Aaron? Family name.